Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In the Kitchen: Thai One On

from Eat Shrink and Be Merry
Thai One On
2 tsp butter or olive oil
1 cup each chopped onions and chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup celery
2 tsp minced garlic
4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
1 Tbsp grated gingerroot
3/4 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander and curry powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp each chopped fresh cilantro and chopped fresh basil leaves
2 Tbsp light peanut butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 lb cooked medium shrimp, tails removed (thaw first if using frozen)

Heat butter in a large non stick soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, red pepper, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
Stir in sweet potatoes, gingerroot, cumin, coriander, curry powder and cinnamon. Cook and stir for 30 seconds more. Add broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, just until sweet potatoes are tender.
Transfer half to blender and puree until smooth. Return to pot with remaining soup. (instead I just put my braun mixer thing right in the pot and pureed it right in the pot.) Stir in cilantro, basil, peanut butter, brown sugar and lime juice. Mix well. Add shrimp and heat for about 2 more minutes, just until the shrimp is hot.


Super easy, super tasty and even low fat :)

5 comments:

The Super Seven said...

Sounds yummy!!! I'm not a shrimp girl though......I wonder what it would taste like with chicken??

Tisha said...

I LOVE that cookbook! Its a favorite at our house. Super Seven, its great with chicken. Its also really yummy meatless!

The Lowry's said...

I tried the gourdian angel soup and none of us cared for it. I didn't mind it, but since the rest of my family didn't I put it on the don't make again list. But maybe I will try this one since I'm sure they are completely different. I love soups.

Unknown said...

Looks delish! Hope you are putting this in Pioneer Woman's latest assignment over on Flickr!

Anonymous said...

yum! this sounds delicious!