Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Independence

jan11 - Independence
This year one of my goals is to teach more life skills to my kids. I am reading a book right now about teaching my kids to work and it really had some things in it that really stuck with me. The point of parenting is to prepare my kids for adulthood. To be capable, able adults. If I am not teaching them things, then I am giving them MORE problems in the future. Yes it can be more work. But is it worth it. Yes.

So this year one of the skills I am going to teach is cooking. Each week they will each help cook one meal. They can pick whatever they want to make but it can't be cheeseburgers every week for Alden and chicken nuggets every week for Lucy. They have to try new things. Alden will be Tuesdays and Lucy will be Wednesdays.

Alden's was last night. He picked stuffed manicotti and garlic toast with fresh veggies. We worked together and he was totally excited. He first wanted stuffed shells but I didn't have shells so I showed him manicotti and how it was the same just a different shape. And he said great. The best part is, he totally ate it and so did Lucy.

After I was thinking, maybe the way I have gone about trying to get my kids to eat has been all wrong. If they are more involved with the picking and making perhaps they'll be more involved in the eating too.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I remember when I was growing up that I was always allowed to help in the kitchen and I learned a lot from no one saying no. Hunter is at the age where he is really into helping and being involoved; sometimes it makes it harder, but I think it is so important to always say yes to helping hands. I think that it is really important to encourage children to be involved and independent. I also think that helping in the kitchen encourages eating habits too!

Susie said...

it's all true more work, but potential results. Everytime we have spaghetti Sadie still 'helps' and throws a noodle at the fridge to see if its done. good for you.

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Great idea!

whitney said...

Love it!
What is the book?

Kristin said...

you are too good! i love it!

Unknown said...

Great idea!!!!! I had Hailey sitting on the counter beside me 'helping' as I made homemade pizza (aka-eating the cheese)the other day. She dropped her cup on the floor and as I bent to pick it up she grabbed a huge handful of cheese and threw it all over me, the floor and the counter. Guess I should wait till she is a bit older ;)

Brooke Snow said...

What a great idea! My mom tried this with us, and it backfired on me. I refused to participate. (I was a little rebel.)

Had I been younger when she started and this was just part of the routine, it would have been so great. I didn't learn anything till I was depending on myself to eat :)

Glad to see you're doing it so young!

great idea

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. i love that you are teaching your kids this important life skill - it will make such a difference in their lives.

Kristi Drennan said...

Love love that! I try to get Isaiah involved a bit and he helps Matt make eggs quite often. I think the way you're doing it so so fantastic. Can you facebook me what book it is? Is it a Linda Eyre book?

The Lowry's said...

great idea! I too want to know what the book is.

Carmen said...

This is a very cultural thing... I was never allowed in the kitchen. You don't mess with an Italian mama's kitchen! And now my kids are not allowed in my kitchen. Sooo, ya. I am not down with teaching the kids independence in the kitchen. They clean and make beds and fold laundry and set tables, etc. That is enough, for now... ha haa

DeeMomof6 said...

He Looks so proud!! Food looks great too!

Laura Dunford said...

I love this idea! I think you are such a fabulous Mother Rhonda! I truly want to be like you when I have kids. Tell Alden his meal looks delicious!! Its making my mouth water just looking at it haha

Crystal said...

My comment to yours in the last paragraph - I think you're right! Have fun creating these meals together! I'm sure the kids and you will enjoy the time spent together and you are very smart for encouraging independence so early. You are a good mama :)

Angela said...

I think I read the book you are referring to. If I'm right, it totally changed the way I view parenting. Such a good book.

Looks like a yummy supper!

Christal said...

what a great idea! You are brilliant!

Unknown said...

So smart - I may have to start doing this as S gets a little older. And I have actually read that one way to combat picky eating is to involve your kid(s) in the selection and cooking process, so WAY TO GO, mama! :)

Stacy said...

What a great idea!! I'm going to try to cook more with my kids. Thanks for the idea!!

Stacey said...

Can you let us know the name of the book? Will have to adopt this idea:)