Wednesday, January 19, 2011

In the kitchen: Oriental Lettuce Wraps

One of my favorite suppers. So easy and so good.
Oriental Lettuce Wraps

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked rice
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2-3 Tbsp chicken broth or water
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3-4 Tbsp chopped peanuts
1 head crisp, cold iceberg lettuce
Spicy Vinegar Dipping Sauce

Heat oil in the large skillet. Add onion, pepper and garlic, saute until barely tender. Add chicken, rice, soy sauce, broth, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until heated through about 5 minutes.

Stir in peanuts. Transfer to serving bowl. Wash lettuce and pull off leaves, keeping them as intact as possible. Put leaves in another bowl.

To serve, have each person spoon some of the hot rice mixture onto a lettuce leaf and wrap like a taco. Wrapped leaves may be dipped in sauce.

Spicy Vinegar Dipping Sauce
In a bowl mix 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon brown or white sugar and 1 Tablespoon minced green onion tops. Serve with lettuce wraps.
Oriental Lettuce Wraps

Try it!!!

11 comments:

The Super Seven said...

These sound super tasty.....going to have to try them out......

Catherine Dabels said...

Oh I will. Tonight!

Kristin said...

Yum Yum Yum! I need these! Why do you have to live so far away, I need you to live by me and come make food with me!

Laura Dunford said...

That looks yummy!! You guys do some good eatin' in the Steed house!!

Catherine Grace Life Photography said...

Definitely going to have to make these! Thanks!

sharon71 said...

I'm going to have to make some of these, they sound very tasty.

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious! I definitely plan to make these. TFS!

Meaghan Clark said...

Thank you Rhonda! I've always wanted to make lettuce wraps but never found a recipe. These will be on the menu sometime next week!

Carmen said...

I make these with Korean bbq beef. TASTY!!

Maria Lang said...

oh such a good idea!!! thanks for sharing Rhonda!!

Melanie said...

these look so yummy! I am going to add them to my meal plan for next week :) TFS!