Thursday, June 17, 2010

Old Fashioned Potato Salad and goofy kids

A few wanted the recipe so here it is...

Old Fashioned Potato Salad
from the Barefoot Contessa at home (one of my very favorite cookbooks!)
3 lbs small red potatoes
salt
1 cup good mayo
1/4 cup buttermilk or milk
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill (fresh is best - but can use dried stuff)
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup medium diced celery
1/2 cup small diced red onion

Place potatoes and 2 Tbsp salt in a large pot of water. Bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with potatoes over the empty pot off the heat and cover with a clean dry towel. Leave potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender but firm.
Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, mustard's, dill, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Set aside.
When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters or halves. Place cut potatoes in a large bowl and pour enough dressing over them to moisten. As the salad sits you may need to add more dressing. Add the celery, red onions and 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Toss well, cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend well.

Just try cooking the potatoes like she says. It makes them better. instead of those falling apart ones you get in most potato salads. I really like them this way. And I love this potato salad.

The fruit salad was as natural as the day it grew. (sans pesticides :) ) I like to make one with lemon pie filling cooked and cooled and mixed with cool whip - but I was feeling just the freshness of the fruit for dinner so that was what we had. And my kids are more likely to eat it with nothing on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today we went to a playdate at a friends house. Lucy was still quite worried about people seeing her eye, so she wore her sunglasses. I over heard this conversation:
M: "so those are nice glasses"
L: "So one night I went to bed and woke up and then walla (voila) I had a huge eye."
M: "Do you like that dress"
L: Looks at her like hello I just told a serious story here. But gets no response so just puts them back on and moves onto something else.


Last week:
Alden: "Mom did you know there are some people who are fat and some who are tall and some who are short and some who are skinny."
Me: "Yep. God made people in all shapes and sizes"
Alden: "Well if you are short you are fat and if you are tall then you are skinny"
Lucy: "Well mom's tall and fat"
Me: "HEY that's not nice to say. In fact that kind of hurts my feelings"
Lucy: "why?"


And Eli calls me "BUM" not "mum" but "Bum". he walks around the house yelling "BUM, are you? BUM are you?"

I've recommitted myself to exercise as of late thanks to the kids. Thanks guys... I guess.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And the bean wreath that I was talking about is here at Dana Made it.


And any of you are welcome to come and eat any time :)

9 comments:

Catherine Dabels said...

You are many things and fat is not one of them! Kids are hilarious even if they are clueless. Sometimes I would love to be a kid for a day and try to figure out how they come to their bizarre conclusions.

Amy said...

Nope, you're not fat. Bum, hmmm, oh Eli.

Marie said...

I cannot, CANNOT stop laughing! And I'm sitting here laughing like a crazy woman, and Aimee is standing right here beside me asking over and over, "What is so funny?" But I can't tell her because if I tell her Eli calls you "Bum" she'll be shocked that Mommy said a bad word.

LindsayB said...

i'm so laughing right now. i'm back on the nickname train and you are now bum to me! ahaha. and i can so picture lucy saying and doing those things. why no eggs? i didn't know you didn't like eggs.

Brooke said...

Your kids are too funny.

Heather M. said...

This post made me laugh. Your kids are hilarious. And you are NOT fast - at all. But BUM - that is hilarious.

And I'm totally trying this potato salad - it sounds yummy! TFS!

Unknown said...

Oh my... I have to laugh. It is really funny. And you know that you aren't fat. Kids have VERY weird perceptions. I asked my gr 2 students last year how old they thought I was and they were guessing 50+. And they were serious. Guess I need plastic surgery ;)

Mike and Jodi said...

Thanks for the laugh! ... and the potato salad recipe.

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I want to know what you are using on the wreath. It is so cute. I want to make one too!

We are moving back to Lethy at the end of June... So we should totally get together.