Prepare yourself for LOTS of pictures :)
I let my kids pick their cakes. I show them pictures and tell them kinds and flavors and they can pick whatever they want. This year Lucy wanted a barbie cake. So I had her draw her cake and then I would make it too look the same.
How it turned out.... I made a red velvet cake using Bakerella's recipe here. Some of the girl's didn't like it. But Lucy did (and so did Aimee! She ate most of the left overs for me :) )
The decorations: I made a quick little banner with left over fabrics of various things I've sown her or her friends in the past. It matches her room so that I can hang it in there after. And the tissue paper puff balls are from last year and hang over her bed all the time, so I just reused them!
Instead of gift bags, each girl got a matching apron. I'll show you how to make them this week. Super easy!
Making their mini pies. See their hats? We made chef hats first out of plastic bags and strips of poster board. They each decorated them and then we stuck them all together.
Cutting out Sugar Cookies: All the mini bakers as the cut out their sugar cookies before baking them. You can see the mini pies in the middle of the table that they made first.
Tidbits from the party:
1. Rolling out the pie dough - it was funny to see which girls had been in the kitchen before and which ones weren't. Yes I could tell :)
2. The invitations - Lucy wanted a cupcake. So this is what I came up with.
3. The little boxes I made for them to carry home all the treats they made and one of the pies. I found the box idea here and loved them so much I am going to use them again. So easy and so cute.
4. Snack time - Lucy's favorite - fruit
5. Trying out the icing bag
6. The perfect color Lucy wanted for the cake
7. I took a picture with each guest and Lucy. First the two of them with the present they gave her and then just them. This is Lucy's cousin Alli who's birthday is 6 days after Lucy's.
Lucy was loving the whole party.
Blowing out the candles.
All the guests and Lucy in their hats and aprons screaming with joy :)
Tomorrow is her actual birthday and I'll share with you how to make the aprons this week (and I might have an extra to give away :) )