Thursday, October 07, 2010

In the Craft Room: The Lucy Apron

So this Apron.
Front and Back
This was what the party guests that came to Lucy's Bake Shop Party got instead of a gift bag. I found the material for clearance price at Marshall's here in Lethbridge. Both the pink and the gray. It was like $3 a meter. So super cheap.
Steps.
1. Cut out the shape for the apron of the pink. I had another apron that I used as a pattern for the shape, but really it's the chef apron shape. kwim?
2. Fold over the very bottom of the apron over and sew closed (to give it a finished edge) and sew on the strip of lace.
the lace trim
3. The sew bias tape across the chest top. You can see it in this picture. After you sew that on, start at the bottom left side start sewing the bias tape along the edge going up the sides and the leaving a loop at the top big enough for the heads and then back down the other side. (clear as mud?)
Modelling the apron

Adding the ruffle.
Cut your strip of gray long. I mean I made them 1.5 m long.
Fold them in half lengthwise and then sew down the sides and one edge so you have a long tube that is open on one end. Turn it inside out.
Iron it flat and then pinning it down, tuck so you get a kind of ruffle and sew it down, making sure you sew around the whole waste tie to get the end closed too.
The ruffles
Make sense?
If something doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try and explain it better.
I made 8 of them in about 3 hours. Super easy. And i love bias tape. I wish I had some in every color :)

And look.... we've got one to share.
One extra
So let me know if you want it :)

19 comments:

The Full Nelson said...

So cute! Karington would look so cute with an apron!

The Super Seven said...

Love the apron. Georgia wears those things everywhere.......sometimes I wonder what people think about her when we are wandering the stores. She would love a new one as she is wearing out the old one!!!

Sandy said...

Thanks for sharing! I've a 17month old that loves to help in the kitchen already so I'm going to "scale down" your pattern and attempt to make one for her! SO fuN!

Catherine Dabels said...

I want it! I want it! I want it!!!!! Please.......

Amelia would love it.

Susie said...

oh me, for Sadie of course! She is outgrowing the last one you made for her.

Unknown said...

Ooooo, ME, ME! I totally want one... but really it will be too big for a little while still... I should make my own mini one for Hailey.

Kristin said...

...so did Lucy's have a cute orange polka dot on back? if so that's way cute!
I have many budding chefs that would love a Lucy apron ;-)

Amberlea Parker said...

OOHHHH OOHHH pick me! Raelynn loves to help in the kitchen, but ALWAYS manages to get herself covered (yes, covered head to toe) in flour if im baking. She also likes to dip her finger in batters to taste them and wipes whatever is left onto her shirt or onto my couches..LOL.

Christal said...

Lauren would love one for the kitchen and for playing she loves to be a little momma!! You are so talented!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes Please! Paisley would love it! Meg would be more interested in using the sewing machine to make one.

Amy said...

Oooh, I do I do! Hanna would love it, I would too if it was my size haha.

Carmen said...

Bella would love it! And you KNOW I don't sew. Or more to the point, can't sew... hee hee

Christina said...

I love it and I'm sure one of my girls would too!

Anonymous said...

this is soooo cute! thanks for sharing the how-to. i really want to try making one for helayna. wanna come and walk me through it? ;)

Mike and Jodi said...

Elania would love it! By the way, I loved Lucy's party. Very cute. Makes me want Elania to want the same kind of party next year. Although I'd need you to teach me how to make those mini pies. I would have commented sooner but you know where I live now and I was without internet for 3 days. Awesome...

BTW, we should set up a new play date...

Stacy said...

So cute! Katey would love an apron like that. Too bad for her I don't sew. Your little girl is so lucky. :)

Kristi-Anna said...

I so love reading your blog!! I want to sew, I really do... I even own a Kenmore machine... but have never even used it. So... I'd LOVE to win the apron for my wee Sophia!! She just turned 6 last month, enjoys looking at your blog (b/c reading is not coming as naturally to her as to the other two children!), and seeing your creations and your family :) She is my 'right hand girl' in the kitchen - baking, cooking, even doing dishes too!!! :)

Such talent you have, Rhonda!! Thank you for sharing it with us :)

DeeMomof6 said...

You are so super creative! If you haven't yet given away that adorable apron I would like to put my bid in for it! Claudia sure could of used on today when she was trying to help make bread... mind you I need one too. Maybe I should give sewing another try. It's been 15 years maybe I have gained some sewing sense since then ;) LOL :D

Abby Metz said...

Sooo cute!!!