Tuesday, March 20, 2007

In the Kitchen: Bake day


Yesterday was bake day around my house.
I remember bake days from when I was a little girl and my mom would get up really early. And I would wake to the smell of cooking bread, or buns or muffins.
Baking runs in my family. My great grandma, my grandma, my mom, they all bake.
For me there is something soothing about mixing the dough, rolling and watching it rise. I throughly enjoy it. I think because it reminds me of being a little girl. Having a white apron wrapped around my waist a couple times, standing on a stool or chair and forming perfectly shaped dinner rolls with my mom.
It was something that we did together.
And something that was special to the girls. Me and My mom and Kelly.
The distinct smell of yeast. How warm the kitchen would get while the dough would rise. And how delighted people would be when we would take freshly baked, still warm goods to others.
I will always remember how often my mom would take food to others. And how much she delighted that she could share that. We didn't havea lot of money growing up, but my mom found a way to serve others, often in way that they couldn't do for themselves. She loved with food. Just like my grandmother started showing her when she was a child.
On bake days I make a list. Of people who I think most need some love. It's not a lot, but I feel apart of my grandmother, my mother, my sister, when I take freshly baked still warm goods to others. I love to share that with others. Some thing that i can do.
And hopefully my children, espcially my little girls, will grow up knowing that I tried to serve, albeit in my own way, to share love.
And that they will want to do the same.

7 comments:

Julia said...

oh my goodness Rhonda, those sweets look delicious. my mother never really baked yummies like that, so i dont know how to make anything like that. its a talant you have there, pass it on to your kids, they'll love you for it later!

Heather M. said...

Rhonda, you are a beautiful example of what it means to serve others selflessly! Your children are blessed to have you for a mother (and I am blessed to have you for a friend)!

Crystal said...

What a wonderful way of serving your family has been blessed with, Rhonda and how cool to be able to pass it on to your daughters. My mom is an example of this too.

Rashelle said...

Those look so good. I wish I were more motivated to do baking, that's a great idea.

Anonymous said...

All that stuff looks and sounds sooo good... i too wish I could motivate myself to bake some stuff. Mine might be for selfish reasons right now i could go for something sweet and fresh

Anonymous said...

Those look sooo delicious!! I love bake days. I do them also. As a matter of fact, I just did mine today! I made pizelle - from my grandmother's recipe. Just like when I was a kid... Love those memories. Thanks for sharing!!

Carmen

Heather said...

Oh my those look delicious and what a awesome way to serve others. I love baking too but I usually end up eating it. You have inspired me to find someone to give it too.