Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tarte Tatin

A little French food lesson for you:

"This French apple tart recipe is a little different from some you may have tried. Here the tart is made upside-down and then turned over to serve. It is called Tarte Tatin.

You will find tarte tatins made with other fillings including some delicious savory tarts. The classic Tarte Tatin, however, is made with caramelized apples and there is a story that goes with it.

The Tatin Sisters
The legendary Tatin sisters, Caroline and Stephanie, were the owners of a restaurant in Sologne in the Centre region of France at the turn of the 20th century. Their cooking was highly regarded, in particular, it is noted, by the local hunters.

basket of apples One day one of the sisters, in a hurry to prepare dessert (supposedly she had tarried too long in talking with one of her customers), forgot to line the tart pan with pastry dough before filling it with apples. Realizing her error after the fact, she hastily covered the apples with the dough and baked it just like that. To serve her creation, she simply flipped her tart, and voilĂ  Tarte Tatin was born.

Another version of the story has Mademoiselle Tatin burning the bottom of her tart, emptying the filling into another pan and covering it with more pie dough before baking some more." (from the site http://www.easy-french-food.com)

I was having some girls over to learn to make hair bows and stuff. A little fun get together with a craft when Reg was on call. It was totally fun :)

So I used the opportunity to make something for my challenge. Made this. A MS version of the Tarte Tatin
DSC_0102

A little close up??
DSC_0104

It was tasty. Really tasty. I didn't have the baking apples they listed so I used gala. And the Carmel was runnier than I thought it should be, but still good! I'm gonna make it again for Regan cause I KNOW he will like it!

MSBH Challenge Recipe Count: 4 & 5. (the crust and the tart)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for all the comments on the last post :) I love comments.
And I should just answer some of them on a whole post. But I'm off to bed!! So maybe tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You inspire me to make something yummy out of apples...mmmmmm

MonaS! said...

that looks soooooo yummy!!!

Lora said...

I have to agree, it looks very yummy!

Valery said...

oh...I made one of these the other day with pears....soooooo good!
I just didn't know it had such a fancy name.

Heather M. said...

I think you should have bought a gluten-free cookbook. :) I'd be happy to help you out with any sampling if you ever do.

this does look delicious though!