Sunday, January 08, 2006

c-e-l-e-b-r-a-t-i-o-n!!!!


Last night we had 26 people over. Yep 26. I cooked a large meal for all of them. Ukrainian Christmas. It was wonderful. The silly thing is I didn't take ONE picture. With doing the dinner and having a small baby.... didn't have time. I didn't even feel like I got to mingle. That's okay. Don't sweat it. But the point of the holiday is to share. To give to our friends. An important part of the tradition of holding Ukrainian Christmas, both for my Grandparents and parents, was that the meal was a gift of gratitude. The time spent preparing was an expression of gratitude to all their friends. It was their way of saying thank you for your friendship. That is a huge part of the tradition for my husband and me. And I love doing it. I love that it is something cool in my family. Something that my mother, my grandmother and my great grandmother did. How cool! I didn't take any pictures, but I did get a small 8x8 scrapbook album done explaining the traditions and the point. It has some of the traditional recipe's that my great grandmother taught my grandma, and so forth down til me. It has very few photos - just some really old ones. And it is extremely simple. Perfect. It's about the message that is in it. A way for people who attend and my children to know of the way all this started. Now THAT is why I scrapbook.
As for the menu, it consisted of
12 main dishes:
1. mashed potatos
2. dressing
3. cranberries
4. fruit salad
5. kneddily
6. cabbage rolls
7. wheat
8. perogis
9. boscht
10. corn
11. buns
12. gravy

7 Meats:
1. Turkey
2. Ham
3. Kubasaw
4. Shrimp
5. Meatballs
6. Roast Beef
7. Chicken Wings

7 Desserts:
1. Rocky Road Brownies
2. Chocolate Pie
3. Christine's Apple Cheesecake Torte
4. Steed Family Chocolates
5. Lemon Loaf
6. Diane's Pumpkin Roll
7. Babka

And yes.... we have left overs. :)






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhonda...you are a machine! That dinner must have cost you a small fortune, besides all the time it took you! I don't know how you do it with a newborn!

And that album is gorgeous!!! A keepsake you can definitely pass down to your children!

Anonymous said...

WOW, Rhonda!! That's a lot of cooking and a lot of different items - you make me look sad! What a lovely album that will be a priceless piece of you forever!!
Happy Ukrainian Christmas!

Amy said...

*jaw dropped to the floor* Wow Rhonda, that is incredible! words are escaping me(and that is rare!) on the work that you put into your family meal!! And that album, is SO elegant!! Lucy will love it when it's her turn!!

Unknown said...

Wow Rhonda! You're amazing. Forget taking pics I can't believe you got all that cooking done.

Love the album you did. Gorgeous pp.

Kim Sanderson said...

Amazing Rhonda, I'm in awe!

Heather M. said...

Um, WOW!!!!! That is INCREDIBLE!!! I would never have the patience or stamina to cook for that many people, let alone create that many AMAZING dishes and desserts!!!! My hat is definitely OFF to you, Rhonda!
And that album is STUNNING!!!! It is so cool that you have it now!

JewelsC said...

WOW!! I too am in awe!!
You are AMAZING Rhonda!! The album is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

Tammy said...

Wow!! I can't even imagine cooking that much food! Sounds like such a wonderful tradition and what an awesome keepsake you made! Amazing Rhonda!! You inspire me!

rebecca said...

amazing album Rhonda! and amazing YOU cooking for 26 people. I have a hard enough time cooking for 4.

:)

Heather said...

Oh my how do you get all this stuff done and pages too! I love the design of your book. The food sounds amazing and oh so much of it and 26 people. Your my hero. Got any secrets to share.