Friday, January 15, 2010

Family Games and fun

I don't know about you, but I find this time of year hard. Christmas is over and there are still lots of months of winter left. And this year we are getting some really nice weather lately (except the CRAZY wind that has been here!!). But soon it will snow again. It's ONLY January. This time of year I get a little stir crazy from being inside. And my kids to do. Eli was crying today to go outside but it was CRAZY windy!!

And we don't watch a lot of TV around here. In fact Alden only sees about 1.5 hours per week. Lucy isn't much more. Maybe 3 hours. There are lots of other things to do. My kids (Except Eli) play a lot independently. Eli is starting to do it in 10 minute segments (which means there is hope for him hahahaha) And I am always trying to remind myself to DO more with them. I don't enjoy playing. Like driving cars.... playing barbies.... um no thanks. (I do love to build a good train track!)

But there are some things I do love to do with my kids.
DSC_0025
Games, Crafts, baking, dancing and singing.

And in the winter you need lots of these to choose from. I found this great list from a fun blog called I Never Grew up. I'll just put my favorites since it's a long list! But go read the whole thing here

What activities do you do with your kids when you are stuck in the house during cold weather? (You know, so you don’t LOSE YOUR MIND)…

Buy games and tuck them away just for the cold months

Collect new cookie recipes. Let them choose one each to use on cold “Cookie Days”

Lego competitions.

Make collages.

Have tea parties (lots of warm drinks with honey).

Bake yummy foods that keep the house warm and good smelling.

Play with yarn and lots of material.

Family drawing time.

Hold dance parties in your living room.

Have surprise birthday parties when it’s no one’s birthday.

Clear all the furniture out of a big room and lay out your picnic blanket. Sit on the blanket while you pop popcorn in the middle–with the lid off! It doesn’t
get much more fun than a dining room full of popcorn on a rainy day.

Scavenger hunts and treasure hunts

Have a day where you learn about another country and plan a small celebration.

Memory games

Let the kids decorate the floor with masking tape (you can usually find a roll for $1 -2). After they’re done make letters, numbers, and shapes. Play games like “who can find the circle” and have them run to stand on it.
Make homemade play dough. Each kid can have their own color and use cookie cutters to play with it.

Finger paint with pudding.

Have your kids look at old photos of themselves.

Another treasure hunt idea: Start by drawing a map of your house. Plant clues. Dressing up is optional- though definitely encouraged. Have the prize be anything from snacks to letting them wear your real jewelry for a day!

Watch a movie or two with fun snacks!

Playdate exchanges with other parents taking turns is fun. The children have lunch and play while the parents talk and have lunch

Plan a whole indoor camping experience for the kids. Make forts, do indoor friendly smores [using spreadable marshmallow cream and a microwave] and project movies on the wall. It’s almost like you are camping in the summer!

Have a carnival. Drugstores sell a huge roll of tickets (like 1000 tickets for $4.00). The kids set up their own booth. Have hula-hooping, snacks, dropping a ball into a vase, hop scotch on the rug outlined in masking tape, a coloring booth, etc. Have new activities each time and let your kids run it.

Great ideas eh??
What do you do to battle the winter blues and not go crazy indoor with your kids??


---------------------------------------------------------------
To answer your question: I found the felt on the bolt at Marshall's (on the north side)

And Haiti has been on my mind. CRAZY! Those poor people!!!!

4 comments:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

Those are all really cute ideas. I am going to have to try a few of those out.

The weather in Cranny is nice, but I'm not in the mood to go out, so poor Grace gets stuck inside all day. We needed some fun ideas to do.

Amy said...

I hear ya about sitting down and playing with the kids' toys. Not my thing either.

Abby Metz said...

hahaha - so glad to hear that someone else doesn't enjoy "playing" with their kids. Crafting, baking/cooking, outside activities & sports, science experiments, building, reading, tickling, wrestling,etc, BRING IT ON! . . . but playing "toys" . . ug . . . I often feel guilty about it, but as far as I'm concerned that's what other kids are for!

Lydia said...

What marvelous and creative ideas, I love the idea of blogging about this and would love to try it on my own. I live on the west coast of BC and it is raining for about 4 months straight We also have dance parties in the living room we play card matching and build trains through out the house. I actually really enjoy these times, and I know that I will desparatley miss them when they are gone. Thanks for sharing!