Tuesday, February 06, 2007

In the Kitchen: Silly Greek Chili

I've had a few people ask me for this recipe.....
It is from the great cookbook Eat, Shrink and Be Merry. It's a great book (I'll return it soon mom!!!) So cheesey, but really good healthy TASTY recipies. This is a really light fresh tasting chili. Total yum!

Silly Greek Chili
2 tsp olive oil
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup chopped red onions
1 cup diced zucchini
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp each ground cumin and dried oregano
1 can (19 oz) diced tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups your favorite tomate pasta sauce
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
1/3 cup crumbled light feta cheese

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large
non stick pot. Add chicken. Cook and stir chicken until lightly bronwed, but not cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Add onions, zucchini, red pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes with their juice, pasta sauce, chickepas, brown sugar and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer with 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro. Ladel chili into serving bowls and top with feta cheese.

I read this book called Hope. I kinda got into it. It has 658 pages... and I read it in four days. Funny how I love to read but when I get into a book... i have to finish it. And fast. Regan kept commenting that he wished he could read his text books like that. :) I think I was reading MUCH lighter stuff!


I'll leave you with two pictures of my cute kiddios from the last few days.













3 comments:

whitney said...

Sounds like a good book. I'll have to check it out if it ever makes its way back to mom. Cutie kids you got there!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the book thing. Shesh, I thought I get bored not working but I would just read all day. I'll have to try your recipe it looks silly and delicious.
Brooke

Crystal said...

Those big blue eyes just melt my heart! You have beautiful children! And I love your blog header too.